fredag 5 augusti 2011

E-writing assignment 4, final entry

The End


- I want a divorce.
The words hit me like the sound from a distant drum. I looked at her perfectly shaped head and then to her eyebrows. Had she dyed them too? She was sad, but not crying. A divorce.. was she sure of that? What do I want?
- Are you sure of that? I asked her.
-Yes Sam, I'm completely sure.
She is sure. How could anyone truly be sure of such a thing? A single woman with to kids, she'd never done that before, so how could she be sure it would turn out better?
- Have you met someone else?
She sighed and replied with a tired look on her face;
- No, that's not the case.
- Oh, alright, I replied surprised.
- You know Sam, you dont have to cheat in order to want to leave.
She had a somewhat bitter tone in her voice and of course I knew what that came from. She referred to all my sidesteps from marriage over the twenty-two years we'd been together. I'd been a terrible man towards her in many aspects.

We met when we both studied at the same college. She was studying to become a lawyer which she took a degree in later on, and I was studying to become a real estate agent, which didn't happen. I work as a painter on a huge company and I hate it most of the time. Back then she was as sophisticated as she was standing infront of me right now. It definitely was a turn on. But sometimes I thought she could get a bit too self-asserted, which really could put me down and make me feel like somewhat of a lesser person. I know other people feel the same way about her. I watched her sit down in her favorite armchair, she stroked the hair out of her face and turned to me.
- I don't think you need any particular reason to why I'm doing this. Maybe you can figure it out yourself.
No I can't I thought to myself. But of course I couldn't tell her that. I mean... I know why anyone would like to leave me, but why now? had there been any releasing, triggering factors lately? had I acted more of a jerk than what I usually do?
She watched me closely and then gave me a dejected look.
- Oh my God Sam... You can't even realize why I'm leaving. You have no sense of self-revelation do you?
- No, but I just figured that it might had to do with some event or something I've done recently.
Her face turned a bit red and I could see how her eyes nearly fell out of their eye-sockets. She swallowed hard and fast and then said;
- This is one reason to why I'm leaving you.
She stood up and walked over to her suitcases.
- I'm staying at my mother's and the kids are going to stay there with me until I've settled into another apartment, just so you know. Bye Sam.
- But... I would like to see my kids.
- You know the telephone number to my mother's house.
She took the suitcases and walked out of the living room, through the hall and out of the front door. The built-in glass rattled as she closed the door behind her.

I think several minutes past before I got back my senses. It suddenly hit me, the love of my life has left me and I didn't feel a thing. Does this finally qualify me as a hands down sociopath? No, wait. Maybe I'm simply shocked. It surely has to be that I'm in a state of shock. So this is neat. Here I am in a 200 square meter big house in the suburbs of London. My wife just left me and I really can't see any particular reason to do anything. Should I feel sad? I should go and have a drink at the pub.

The atmosphere at the pub was merry and loud and there was quite a lot of people there tonight. I made my way to the bar counter and ordered an ale. As I sat there I felt a strange feeling of relief, or was it emptiness?
- Drowning your sorrows, eyh?
A woman whom I hadn't noticed sat on the bar stool next to me, she held a glass of red wine in her hand and made a gesture to toast with me. I raised my glass to a toast and we both took a sip of the bewerages.
- Yeah, I'm afraid that's the case, I replied.
She smiled at me in a considerate way and said;
- Well, at least you're not alone.
She had an ingenious look to her, and was really attractive. But not in the usual way, she had something different about her which I couldn't pin down.
- If you look at those two over there... (I discretely pointed towards a young couple at the other side of the bar) Those two are the only one who isn't drowning their sorrows here tonight.
She couldn't help to start laugh, and so did I.
After a while, when we'd calm down she gave me a serious glance and said;
- So tell me.. What happened?
I cleared my throat and was obvious surprised by her straight forward way.
- My wife just left me, actually just a couple of hours ago. What happened to you?
I looked at her lips, created to perfection. I realized I enjoyed her company, it was refreshing to speak with someone in such a honest and uncomplicated way.
- My boyfriend left me last week... but you know, the strangest thing about it? (she now turned her whole body straight towards me as she sat on the bar stool) I don't really feel sad about it. I'm simply feeling relief... Does it sound crazy?
I gave her a smile and then I replied;
- Trust me, it doesn't.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar